The Latrobe Valley Sports and Community Initiative is an $85 million investment from the Victorian Government to upgrade key local infrastructure and attract major sporting events and programs to the region.
The project aims to build local capacity, reduce disadvantage and barriers to participation, improve health and social outcomes for the area, boost the visitor economy and foster regional pride through major events.
The initiative seeks to build on the region’s existing strength in the sporting field to drive continued growth and develop new links with elite clubs and competitions.
Latrobe City Council and Latrobe Valley Authority have worked closely together to deliver the program.
A commitment of $73.1 million was given to upgrade sports infrastructure and build new facilities across the region, with Latrobe City Council taking the lead on project delivery and capital works.
New and upgraded sporting facilities have increased the Latrobe Valley’s capacity to attract and host major events and community programs and improved amenity for local users.
The projects created about 300 jobs in construction and 275 ongoing operational and support roles, providing beneficial flow on effects for the area.
Seven major sporting infrastructure projects were completed as part of this initiative, including six in Latrobe City which were:
- $57 million Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre
- $19 million Traralgon Sports Stadium, Traralgon
- $9 million Morwell Recreation Reserve
- $1.7 million Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell
- $3.5 million Ted Summerton Reserve, Moe
- $1 million Sale Tennis Centre
- $400,000 Traralgon Tennis Centre
There was also $5 million allocated to upgrade nine other local sporting reserves across Latrobe City, Baw Baw and Wellington Shires, they were:
- Traralgon Recreation Reserve
- Glengarry Recreation Reserve
- Ronald Reserve, Morwell East
- Cowwarr Recreation Reserve
- Gormandale Recreation Reserve
- Heyfield Recreation Reserve
- Monash Reserve, Newborough
- Peter Siddle Oval, Morwell
- Willow Grove Recreation Reserve
All Latrobe City based infrastructure projects funded by this initiative have now been completed on time and to budget.
If you would like to be updated with our regular Major Recreation Newsletter subscribe.