Latrobe City Councillors participate on a range of committees that have different purposes and functions.
Committees play a significant role in managing and maintaining council facilities. They also provide an opportunity for community members and organisations to contribute to the development of Council plans and strategies by providing information, advice and feedback.
Councillor appointments may be made to:
Special Committees of Council
- Special Committees are created under the Local Government Act 1989 which have powers of Council to decide matters under their delegation
- Special Committees of Council include the Latrobe Regional Airport Board and the Morwell Centenary Rose Garden
- Committees that are legislated for Council to have in place
- Statutory Committees include the Audit and Risk Committee and the Municipal Emergency Management Planning Committee
- Committees created by Council to provide advice only on matters relevant to strategic matters of the Council. They do not have decision making powers of the Council.
- There are a large number of Advisory Committees including the Latrobe City International Relations Committee, Mathison Park Advisory Committee and the Traralgon CBD Safety Committee.
Other Council Committees and Groups
- Ongoing meetings that are convened on specific matters by Latrobe City Council as part of engagement initiatives
- Other Council Committees include the Latrobe City Lake Narracan User Group
- Includes appointments to State and Federal Government and other Organisations in regards to issues that can impact the Latrobe City municipality
- Also includes ongoing strategic relationships that are community or industry based where the Council has been invited to participate in partnership or as a community advocate
- External committees include the Gippsland Local Government Network and the Municipal Association of Victoria
These appointments are usually reviewed on an annual basis.
At the Ordinary Council Meeting on 6 December 2016, Council appointed Councillor delegates to the various committees detailed in Council Delegates and Committees Instrument. These appointments are usually reviewed on an annual basis.