Joining Youth Council
You don’t need to be an existing student leader or have an established position within the community to apply.
If you have energy and ideas about how to make Latrobe City a better place for young people, we want to hear from you.
Download an application form or contact Bec Fenton at Latrobe City on 5128 5755 or 0437 991 194.
As a Youth Councillor you will meet once a fortnight to discuss a range of issues and bring relevant ideas to the Latrobe City Councillors.
- Develop your confidence and leadership skills
- Broaden your knowledge of your local community
- Represent the young people of Latrobe City at conferences such as the Sister Cities Australia National Conference
- Attend community events, special functions, and conferences
- Meet with the Latrobe City Councillors and attend Council meetings
- Be nominated for leadership positions such as Youth Mayor, Deputy Mayor, and Secretary
Expressions of Interest to join the Youth Council may be submitted at any time.
We're seeking Expressions of Interest from young people to fill up to 20 Latrobe City Youth Council Positions.
Latrobe City is seeking applicants who are able to demonstrate the following:
- Ability to demonstrate leadership qualities and be willing to take on a leadership role in their community.
- Willingness to undergo training and development to improve and build individual leadership skills.
- Preparedness to consult with other young people in schools and the wider community.
- Interest in issues that affect young people and are able to consider issues in a wider community context.
- A desire to develop an understanding of local government and to build local networks.
- The capacities to value add to the Latrobe City Youth Council working to improve the experiences for young individuals who reside and visit the Latrobe City.
- Willing to be involved in community projects, activities, and civic events.
Read the Program Outline for more information on the Youth Council program and the responsibilities of Youth Council.