Entry to the Garden Celebration is free, and virtual applicants should choose the category they feel best suits their garden. All gardens must be located within the Latrobe City municipality.
There are five (5) virtual garden entry categories which will be displayed by photograph on the Council website.
All gardens will feature on the Latrobe City Council website and social media platforms, including the Latrobe Valley Express.
- Small Garden: Gardens entered into this category can be pot gardens, balconies, terraces, front or backyards showcasing either flowers, shrubs, trees, vegetables, fruits or herbs. Gardens can be any size.
- Luscious Lawn: Top turf and weed free.
- Large Garden: This can include the whole garden or a part of it (for example a double block).
- Bee Attracting Garden: A garden that is designed to specifically attract bees by providing a combination of nectar and pollen flowers or even choosing flowers that bees like.
- Alfresco Garden Area: Outdoor delight – a great place to share a meal with family and friends.
All entries will be eligible for the John Ruyg Encouragement Award.
Recognition and Appreciation
- John Ruyg Encouragement Award - Encouraging Gardener/s with recognition for their obvious enthusiasm, commitment and potential to develop their garden further.
- Latrobe Valley Express - All entrants will be recognised in a double-page feature.
- Interactive Website feature - All gardens will be displayed and made accessible on the Latrobe City website through an interactive map.
- Video Production – Virtual tour of selected gardens and interviews a range of local gardeners to be displayed on the Latrobe City website.
By entering the Garden Celebration entrants agree to abide by the conditions of entry which include;
- Names, area address and photographs of the entrant/s and their gardens being used for associated promotion and publicity.
- Applicants may choose to agree to:
- The publishing of their address so that members of the public may view the garden from the street (optional).
- Having their contact details on a register so that other entrants can arrange a mutually convenient time to view their garden (optional).
- Entries open Monday 26 October 2020
- Entries close Saturday 6 December 2020
- All entrants are required to submit up to three (3) photographs. Entrants can ask neighbours, friends or family members to take the photos for them.
- If an entrant is unable to submit photos, they must contact Latrobe City Council (LCC) by Friday 30 November, please contact LCC.
- Entrants agree to allow their gardens to be photographed by a person nominated by LCC for publicity purposes. Photographs remain the property of LCC and may be reproduced in Council promotional material to be used discretionally.
- Photographs become the property of LCC and will not be returned to the entrant.
- Sponsors, Councillors, Council staff and their immediate household members are not eligible to enter the Garden Celebration.
- Latrobe City Council will not be liable for any failure of receipt of entries, including technical, hardware, or software failures of any kind or lost or unavailable network connections which may limit or prohibit an eligible entrant’s ability to participate in the celebration. Latrobe City takes no responsibility for any entries that are lost, delayed, illegible, corrupted, damaged, incomplete or otherwise invalid.
- LCC reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify or suspend the celebration if, in its sole discretion, a celebration is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- LCC nor the parties involved, will accept any responsibility or will be liable for any injury, loss or damage to an entrant’s property as a result of participation in the celebration.
- The personal information requested on the entry form is being collected by Council for the purpose of the Garden Celebration. The personal information will be used solely by Council for that primary purpose or directly related purposes.
- If you choose not to provide this information, then we will be unable to process your application. The applicant understands that the personal information provided is for the reasons outlined above and that they may apply to Council for access to and/or amendment of the information. Requests for access and/or correction should be made to the Privacy Officer at Latrobe City Council on 1300 367 700.