Skip to main content

Request an Internal Review of a Fine

If you believe you've been unfairly issued with a fine, you can have it reviewed.

If you've received an Infringement Notice or Penalty Reminder Notice, you can apply to have the fine reviewed by the authorised person responsible for this.  This is called an Internal Review.

You're allowed one Internal Review per infringement notice.

When can I apply for an Internal Review?

Your application will be assessed if:

  • there has been a mistake made in issuing the notice (contrary to law)
  • there has been a mistake of identity
  • you have special circumstances
  • if the person was unaware of the infringement
  • there are other exceptional circumstances

How to apply for an Internal Review

Apply online using the form below:

Request an Internal Review

Phone Local Laws Team on 1300 367 700 or apply in writing.

You must send in your application before the due date shown on your notice. You can authorise someone else to apply on your behalf by completing the relevant section on the form.

  1. Download the Application for Internal Review(DOC, 344KB)
  2. Print and complete the form
  3. Send the form to Council via:
    • Post: Latrobe City Council, PO Box 264, Morwell 3840
    • Email:
    • In preson: at any service centre or library

What happens next?

A delegated officer will conduct the review. This usually happens within 90 days of receiving your application.

It can take longer if they have to ask you for additional information.

Once a decision has been made, you will be notified in writing to let you know the outcome.

They can:

  • withdraw the infringement notice and take no further action against you
  • withdraw the infringement notice and issue an official warning in its place
  • refer the matter to the Magistrates' Court (or the Children's Court if you're under 18)
  • confirm its decision to issue you with an infringement notice

If the Internal Review has been refused, you'll need to pay the notice by the due date advised in your letter to avoid:

  • your infringement being forwarded to the Infringements Court or Magistrates’ Court
  • being issued with an Enforcement Order Notice
  • incurring additional costs

If you need help paying, you can apply for a pay a fine by instalments.

If you wish to contest the decision, you can elect to take your fine to court. This must be done in writing and submitted before the due date of your infringement.

Help with your application

If you have any questions about an Infringement Notice or applying for an internal review, phone 1300 367 700 between 8.30am and 5.15pm, Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays. 

Do you like our new site?