Impounded cats and dogs not claimed from the pound, may be available for adoption. Unclaimed animals are generally available for adoption eight days from the impounded date. Prospective owners are encouraged to visit the pound to meet and become acquainted with available pets.
Register your interest to adopt an animal or call us on 1300 367 700 for any questions about animal adoptions. Due to the volume of adoption requests received you will only be contacted should your application be successful.
- Dog, including desexing fee $380
- Cat, including desexing fee $220
- Dog or cat already desexed* $170
Fee includes: animal, *desexing, vaccination, worming, microchipping, vet check and registration.
Before you adopt
Adopting an animal from the pound can be a rewarding experience, but before you adopt a pet take some time to consider the commitment you are about to make.
Adopting a pet is a lifelong decision that will have a major impact on your everyday life. Please remember that a cat or dog can live for up to 20 years and they will rely only on you for their wellbeing for their entire life.
Are you pet ready?
Do I have time to exercise the dog every day?
- Do I have time for puppy pre-school and time to socialise a puppy?
- Do I have at least an hour every day to spend time with my cat?
- Do I have time for obedience training
- If renting, does the landlord permit pets?
- Is the backyard big enough and is the fencing secure?
- Does the whole family want a pet?
- Will the pet be allowed inside?
- Will I have to move to another rental property where the landlord may not allow pets?
Can I afford a pet?
- Weekly animal food bills necessities for the lifetime of the pet
- Yearly council registration
- Monthly medications like heart worm/intestinal worm and flea treatments
- Annual vet visits for vaccinations and check ups
- Unexpected vet bills due to accidents or medical conditions
- Ongoing grooming
- Boarding fees for human holidays
- Enrichment like training, toys, etc.
YES, I’m ready to adopt a pet
View animals for adoption then contact the Local Laws team on 1300 367 700 and quote the animal ID number
Submit your interest to adopt an animal below. Due to the volume of adoption requests received you will only be contacted should your application be successful.
Request to adopt an animal
Animal ID Number * (required) Your Name * (required) Phone Number * (required) Email