The Gender Equality Act 2020 requires Victorian Public Agencies, including councils, to take positive action towards achieving workplace gender equality and to promote gender equality in their policies, programs and services.
Latrobe City Council Gender Equality Leadership Statement
Latrobe City Council recognises the right of all people, women, men and people of self-described gender to be treated equally. Council acknowledges its important leadership role in promoting gender equality within the Latrobe City community.
Latrobe City Council will take positive action towards workplace gender equality by:
- Undertaking a workplace gender audit
- Developing a Gender Equality Action Plan based on the findings of the workplace gender audit
- Implementing workplace initiatives that address structural barriers to Gender Equality
- Reporting on our progress in implementing the Gender Equality Action Plan and utilising the workplace gender equality indicators
Latrobe City Council will promote gender equality in our policies, programs and services by:
- Training staff and Councillors in gender equality
- Collecting and analysing gender disaggregated data to inform decision making
- Utilising a gender lens to understand the impact of our policies, programs and services on people of different genders
- Undertaking gender impact assessments on all new policies, programs and services that directly and significantly impact the public, as well as those up for review
- Where practical, apply an intersectional approach to consider how gender inequality can be compounded by disadvantage or discrimination that a person may experience on the basis of other factors such as age, disability, or ethnicity.
Gender Equality Action Plan
In line with the Gender Equality Act 2020, Latrobe City Council has developed a Gender Equality Action Plan. The development of this plan was informed by the results of a workforce gender audit conducted in June 2021 and submitted to the Commission for Gender Equality.
The Latrobe City Council Gender Equality Action Plan represents our commitment to gender equality. This is a four-year plan that outlines how we will work together to embed a culture of gender equality within our organisation, from strategy right through to day-to-day operations.
The Gender Equality Action Plan will guide Latrobe City as an employer to ensure everyone is valued and enjoys equal opportunities, regardless of gender.
In developing the Gender Equality Action Plan, we heard our people’s experiences relating to gender and diversity and looked at our systems, policies, facilities and procedures through a gender lens. These experiences are acknowledged and addressed in this plan, ensuring that we deliver on our actions with integrity and accountability while strengthening the work we have already done.