Skip to main content

Fire Restrictions and Permit to Burn

Permit to Burn/Burning Off

The Fire Danger Period commenced on 18 December 2023. The current Latrobe City Local Law No 2 requires all owners and occupiers of land in Latrobe City to have a permit to burn.

Properties zoned Farming, Rural, Rural-Lifestyle and Rural/Residential within the Latrobe City Municipality can request a permit to burn by contacting Latrobe City Council on 1300 367 700.

For the Residential 1 zone and Township zone areas of Churchill, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon, Yallourn North, Yinnar, Boolarra, Glengarry, Toongabbie, Tyers and Traralgon South all burning off is banned. If a permit is required, you must contact Fire Rescue Victoria to request a permit, information on this can be found on this website :

Local Law No 2
Section 99 Open Air Burning

99.1 A person must not, without a permit light or cause or allow to be lit or remain alight any fire in the open air on any land or road within the Municipal District.
99.2 Despite clause 100a, an owner or occupier of land may burn-off in the open air for the purposes of reducing fuel loads on that land in accordance with the following -
(a) The land greater than 1 hectare in size; and
(b) The land is outside a 500 metre radius from any residential area; and
(c) Someone is in attendance at all times while the fire is lit; and
(d) Fire suppression equipment is onsite; and
(e) The fire is only allowed to burn during daylight hours.
(f) VicFire is notified beforehand.

How to Apply

Call Latrobe City Council on 1300 367 700 to lodge your request. If your request is granted, you will then need to call the burn off notification line on 1800 668 511 and your local CFA to register your burn, including times and dates.


The use of incinerators is banned within the municipality of Latrobe City Council

Related documents

Do you like our site?