A number of local groups and committees are seeking volunteers to assist in the management and development of nominated Latrobe City Council reserves and gardens in accordance with their governing bodies terms of reference and the environment and/or operational management plans.
Yinnar Recreation Reserve
- Yinnar Recreation Reserve Committee of Management
Baillie Reserve Tyers
- Baillie Reserve Tyers Community Asset Committee
George Bates Reserve
- George Bates Reserve Community Asset Committee
Morwell Centenary Rose Garden
- Working Bee: monthly third Monday (9:00 am - 12:00 pm)
- Regular Maintenance: every Tuesday (9:00 am - 12:00 pm)
- Website: Morwell Centenary Rose Garden
- Facebook: Morwell Centenary Rose Garden
Traralgon Railway Reservoir Conservation Reserve
- Working Bee: monthly first Saturday
- Facebook: Traralgon Railway Reservoir Conservation Reserve
Mathison Park, Churchill
- Working Bee: monthly second Saturday
- Facebook: Mathison Park, Churchill
- Website: Mathison Park, Churchill
Callignee and Traralgon South Sporting Facilities
- Traralgon South Recreation Reserve
- Wes Pump Memorial Oval, Callignee
Edward Hunter Heritage Bush Reserve
Crinigan Bushland Reserve
Ollerton Avenue Bushland Reserve
Moe Yallourn Rail Trail
Volunteers generally assist with labouring work like digging, pruning, weed spraying and can be taught on the job. If you have special training/licences like chainsaws, driving heavy plant equipment these skill may also be used.
Training is also offered in occupational, health and safety, first aid and snake handling.
Volunteer Week is celebrated May each year with all registered volunteers invited to attend a thank-you event in recognition of the wonderful work they do for the community.
Application for volunteer registration
To apply as a volunteer, read and complete the form below.
Please note: your application will be considered by the relevant committee at their next meeting. Meeting schedules vary for each committee (monthly to quarterly). You will be notified of the outcome by the committee following their next meeting.
As a volunteer of the Council the following conditions apply:
- No payment will be made to you by Council.
- Your volunteer Council Supervisor/Liaison Officer is the Environmental Sustainability Officer or Coordinator Recreation Liason.
- The task you have volunteered for is works utilising demonstrated skills under the direct supervision of the Committee of Management and/or suitably qualified tradesperson. You are not permitted to use any industrial power tool that requires the qualified skill of a tradesperson. You are permitted to use small hand held power tools.
- Only whilst you are assisting Council in the above mentioned clearly defined Council business activity and while your assistance is approved/controlled and/or known by Council, you will be covered for Public Liability Insurance.
- While acting as a volunteer, a limited personal accident insurance cover will be provided by Council subject to the terms and conditions of the policy. Council retains ownership of the policy and retains discretion in terms of any benefits payable under the policy. Volunteers are not covered by a WorkCover policy.
- Should any injury occur to you while you are acting as a volunteer of Council you must notify your Supervisor/Liaison Officer immediately, or as soon as practicable.
- Any incident which occurs in which injury or property damage to other parties may arise must be reported immediately or as soon as practicable to your Council Supervisor/Liaison Officer.
- Under the terms of the Occupational Health & Safety Act 2004, you must follow all established practices, procedures and instructions of Council which apply to the tasks you have volunteered to perform. You will be required to complete the Volunteer OH&S Induction when requested.
- You are expected to perform the task you have volunteered to perform with all due care and skill.
I agree for my personal contact details to be provided to my nominated reserve Committee Secretary for the purposes of volunteer activity communications only.
All volunteers need to provide either a COVID double vaccination certificate or medical exemption letter to work at our facilities.
All volunteers are required to obtain a volunteers WWCC before they can commence volunteering in any Council's reserves, parks and gardens.
I confirm that I have read and understand the above mentioned conditions on this registration sheet prior to signing it.