A new approach to community engagement
It is important for us to involve our community in significant decisions that impact on the liveability, social and economic profile of Latrobe City.
Our community has always valued the opportunity to:
- Meet and discuss issues with Councillors and Council officers;
- Share their views and opinions;
- Expand their understanding of Council; and
- Help develop innovative outcomes.
Every year, we conduct community consultations on a wide range of ideas and initiatives. Through meaningful and informed community engagement, our community is included in Council decisions that affect them.
We want you to be included in the Council decisions that affect you
Community engagement is asking people what they think about ideas, or proposals so they can contribute to, and influence, the decisions that affect them.
How we do this is outlined in our new Community Engagement Policy 2021-24, which will include:
- Why we engage;
- When we’ll engage; and
- How we’ll engage with our community to inform Council decisions.
The Policy will set out the methods of engagements to be considered - in accordance with the Local Government Act 2020.
Our goal is to engage often and widely with everyone, to have open, honest, meaningful and informed community engagement that is authentic and facilitates respectful two-way conversations.
What is this consultation about?
Council must adopt five community engagement principles set by the Local Government Act 2020.
We’ve developed commitment statements to clarify how we could deliver these engagement principles.
It is important that we understand what you, our community think of these principles and commitment statements.
When you take the time to participate in this survey, you are helping to guide how we plan for the future and tackle important decisions. These decisions could relate to planning, policy development, projects and other engagement initiatives that affect our communities.
What will you do with my feedback?
We want to understand the community’s support for the Policy and how it defines when, why and how we’ll engage with our community to inform Council decisions.
Our new Community Engagement Policy 2021-24 will set the rules for how we must undertake every engagement in the future. The policy is only reviewed every four years, although its application is reviewed and monitored regularly.
Your feedback will inform the Community Engagement Policy 2021-24, and be reviewed and incorporated into an update of the draft Policy.
What can and can’t the community influence?
To understand the extent the community and stakeholders can influence the Policy and how feedback and ideas received will be considered please note the parameters of this engagement.
What can I influence?
- Commitment statements that clarify how Local Government Act 2020 engagement principles will be interpreted and delivered.
- Identification of barriers to participation and how to address these.
- Priorities for improvement in engagement practice and capability.
What can't I influence?
- The legislative requirement to have a Community Engagement Policy 2021-24 that contains principles and deliberative engagement features.
- Previous community engagement consultations, processes, plans and outcomes. These can be referenced as examples, but consultation will not be reopened.
- The International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) spectrum.
- The engagement and influence levels that are assigned to past, current or future projects and engagement plans.
- Latrobe City Council's standard Policy template.
What is included in the draft Policy?
Council must adopt five community engagement principles set by the Local Government Act 2020 in our Community Engagement Policy 2021-24.
How we interpret, define and apply these principles will be determined through consultation with our community.
We’ve developed commitment statements to clarify how we could deliver these engagement principles and are seeking community feedback which will help inform the Council endorsed Community Engagement Policy 2021-24.