Latrobe City Council, as the declared waterway manager for Lake Narracan, makes the following declaration under section 203(3) of the Marine Safety Act 2010 (Vic).
For the purposes of boating activity conducted by Latrobe Valley Water Ski Club on 10 to 11 December 2022, 21 to 22 January 2023, and 24 to 26 February 2023 at Lake Narracan, persons and vessels involved in the activity are exempt from the following requirements:
State Rules made under the Marine Act 1988
1. Clause 3(a) – 5 knots within 50 metres of the water’s edge;
2. Clause 3(b) – 5 knots within 50 metres of a fixed or floating structure;
Marine Safety Regulations 2012
3. Regulation 103 – person being towed must wear a PFD at all times;
4. Regulation 104 (2) – Master must not tow a person unless the person is wearing a PFD.
Subject to the conditions detailed below:
- Master of rescue vessels are only exempt from items 1 & 2 when undertaking rescue responsibilities to retrieve persons in distress, provide for their initial medical or other needs and deliver them to a place of safety on shore.
- Water skiers are only exempt from item 3 when participating in trick skiing activities.
- Masters of towing vessels are only exempt from item 4 when towing water skiers who are participating in trick events.
- All persons on vessels associated with the event, or participants performing acts which are not ‘Trick’ events, must wear PFDs at all times.
- The exemptions apply from 7am and 7pm on 10 to 11 December 2022, 21 to 22 January 2023, and 24 to 26 February 2023 at Lake Narracan.
- The exemptions apply provided the stated safety controls and undertakings detailed in the application form and associated documentation are adhered to.
Dated: 10 November 2022
Latrobe City Council