Named after Eric Taylor who was the Secretary for Traralgon Shire 1954 – 1961. He then became the Town Clerk for the Borough of Traralgon which became the City of Traralgon in 1964. He was the first Town Clerk for the city. Serving for a short term.
Eric’s other main community involvement was as a member of the Board of Management of St Andrews Presbyterian Church, Traralgon for a number of years in the 50’s.
He died in Traralgon aged 50, 1969.
In respect of the Tennis courts on the Eric Taylor Reserve. The land was donated in the 1950’s to the Presbyterian Church by the Bell family who lived in “Brooklea” in Meredith St. (off Shakespeare St.) The courts were built in 1964 being opened for the 1964 season in October 1964. St Andrews at this time had many tennis teams in the Senior & Junior competitions in Traralgon.
“Brooklea” was the home of Dr. Morrison (the town’s first resident Dr. 1885 - 1892). Mr L.M. Bell and his family lived in this house. Dr Morrison was the uncle of Louis Bell). Brooklea was demolished in 1993.