The Braiakaulung Advisory Committee was established in 1998 to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land, and to advise on issues associated with Reconciliation.
The aims of the committee are:
- To advise Council on policies and how they relate to the Aboriginal community
- To advise Council on Aboriginal Reconciliation
- To facilitate major events including Aboriginal input and participation
- To promote recognition and awareness of Aboriginal culture in Council and the wider community
- To ensure information sharing about Council strategies, policies and programs
- To maximise the promotion of opportunities for people through Council and other programs including training and employment for young people
- To encourage the promotion of positive messages about Aboriginal initiatives and achievements
- To assist in the development of strategies for tackling identified problems
- To advise Council on Cultural heritage issues.
Latrobe City Council adopted the “Statement of Commitment to Indigenous People and Statement of Reconciliation” in March 2000. This statement was reviewed and the “Statement of Commitment to Reconciliation” adopted in 2012.
Other achievements of the Committee:
- The development and implementation of an Indigenous employment strategy
- Town entry signage including Braiakaulung language
- Participation in cross cultural activities and celebrations
- Participation on the Gippsland Regional Aboriginal Justice Advisory Committee
- Representation on, and presentations to, a variety of committees, activities, celebrations and events.
Membership of the Committee is open to any members of the Aboriginal community, or those working closely with the Aboriginal community.
If you are interested in attending a meeting, please contact Chelsea Stewart on mobile 0417 226 366 or email Chelsea.Stewart@latrobe.vic.gov.au
2020 Meeting Dates
All meetings will be held in the Nambur Wariga Meeting Room, 141 Commercial Road, Morwell from 10 am to 12 pm
- Wednesday 5 February
- Wednesday 1 April
- Wednesday 3 June
- Wednesday 5 August
- Wednesday 7 October
- Wednesday 2 December