Many of these online resource will require library membership to access.
Gale Online Databases
With the generosity of Gale, we can provide online access to some great databases until 30 June 2020.
Gale database cover topics such as science and the environment, history, news, literature and global issues. A complete, cross-searchable archive of National Geographic magazine, books, and videos is also included.
The databases are located here. To log in, you will need this access code: latrobe
Encyclopaedias & reference
- World Book Online Online research tools including encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio, and video, complemented by current periodicals and related web sites.
- Australian Dictionary of Biography: includes biographies of people who were significant in Australian history
- CIA Fact Book: covers the history, government, economy and geography of countries of the world
Books & Reading
- ebooks and e-audiobooks: download your favourites
- eMagazines: the latest magazines to read online or download
- TumbleBook Library: children will love the animated, talking picture books and games available through online collection
- Fantastic Fiction: provides current information about new books, authors and genres
- Niche Academy include video tutorials on library apps which are used for eBooks, eMagazines, movie streaming, language and computer learning.. It also covers Social Media.
- Hoonuit: provides video based online software training and support tutorials, free to library members
- Training Notes in Other Languages from Tech Savvy Seniors: Dari, Greek, Hindi, simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese, Tagalog and Vietnamese
- Digital Learn: includes tools to help you tackle technology at your own pace and gain
- GFC Free Learning has tutorials covering computers and technology, as well as maths, reading
- Aussie Drivers.com: allows learner drivers to test their knowledge of road rules. It is free, interactive and provides immediate feedback so leaners can be prepared when they sit the real test.
- Better Health Channel: state government website providing health and medical information to help improve health and wellbeing
- Translated Health Directory: directory links to online health resources in many different languages provided by government departments, hospitals, peak health bodies, community health centres and welfare agencies
Home work help
- Homework Help: find out more about the digital resources available to you to at your local Latrobe Library
- Law Handbook; an online version of the Fitzroy Law Handbook, which is also available in print as a reference book at all libraries
- Victorian Law Today: provides links to Victorian Law, statutes, and legislation
- Australasian Legal Information Institute: an online database of national and state legislation, and cases
- Australian Law at the NLA: a national library website providing links to national and state legal websites
Newspapers and magazines
See also eMagazines
- PressReader: online access to today's newspapers from around the world in full colour full-page format. Read a newspaper in your own language with over 1000 newspapers to choose from. (Instructions)
- Trove Historic Australian Newspapers: access to historical newspapers from all states across Australia. Gippsland newspapers are well represented and include the Traralgon Record, the Morwell Advertiser and the Gippsland Times. Use advanced search to search a specific newspaper title or a range. You can also limit your search to news, family notices and sporting results.
Science and technology
World Book Online Online research tools including encyclopedia articles, primary source collections, educator tools, student activities, pictures, audio, and video, complemented by current periodicals and related web sites.
- ABC Science: the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's online gateway to science
- CSIRO: Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation