Our seed libraries are sprouting up. Be a part of this growing new community initiative.
- Plant a seed
- Grow your knowledge
- Share your harvest
- Grow our seed collection
What is a seed library?
- Instead of borrowing a book, choose an envelope of seeds to grow in your garden.
- Select from a wide range of vegetables and flowers.
- If you grow something that does well in our area, donate some seeds to grow our collection and share them with others.
- Learn how to collect and save seeds.
- Improve your chance of successful gardening by growing things that have been tried and tested here in the Latrobe City climate.
What are the benefits of a seed library?
- Encourage people to plant and grow their own seasonal produce.
- Variety of seeds available including vegetables and herbs.
- Access local knowledge and know-how to improve your chance of a successful harvest.
- Free, friendly classes to learn about growing plants, saving seeds and cooking your produce.
However small or large your garden, however limited your gardening knowledge, we will support you.
Guidelines for members
- You must be a library member. It’s free to join. Ask at your local branch or sign up online.
- Take the envelope of seeds home, plant them, watch them grow. At harvest time, think about collecting, saving and returning some seeds to grow the library collection!
How to be a ‘Seed Saver’
- Make sure seeds are clean and dry by removing as much chaff as possible.
- Label your seeds. We provide the labels. Write as much information on the packet as possible.
- Share! If you have lots of seeds, we can take them to share with local schools and community gardens too!
Keep an eye on social media for more information about the seed libraries and classes. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/latrobecitylibraries