Fire Restrictions - Requirements for Lighting Fires

Under the current Latrobe City Local Law No 2 owners or occupiers of all land in Latrobe City require a permit to burn. This public notice is published to provide a 'blanket' permit for this activity in Farming, Low Density Residential and Rural Living Zones within Latrobe City, providing the following conditions are complied with:

An adult is to be in attendance at all times.

A minimum firebreak of 2 metres must be constructed around the area to be burnt.

  • Sufficient water is to be on site to handle any emergency that may occur.
  • Notice must be given to each owner or occupier of land contiguous to the area to be burnt.
  • Call 1800 668 511 Vic Fire Ballarat to lodge your intention to burn.

This permit is valid outside the Fire Danger Period each year. If unsure of this period please contact the Fire Prevention officer on 1300 367 700, Vic Fire Ballarat on 1800 668 511 or the Country Fire Authority.

This permit is not valid on days of Total Fire Ban.

For the Residential 1 zone and Township zone areas of Churchill, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon, Yallourn North, Yinnar, Boolarra, Glengarry, Toongabbie, Tyers and Traralgon South all burning off is banned. 

Should any variation of the above conditions be envisaged, an individual permit must be obtained from council please contact the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer telephone 1300 367 700.


Large sections of Latrobe City are classed as bushfire prone areas. Latrobe City has a Municipal Fire Prevention Plan to deal with just such an emergency.

When a bushfire happens in Latrobe City the Municipal Emergency Control Centre (MECC) is set up. If you live in a bushfire prone area make sure you have a fire plan.  For your own safety keep up to date with the latest bushfire information.  Read the Latrobe City Fire Management Plan(PDF, 31MB) to keep up to date

Official emergency broadcasters and providing updates and information:

  • ABC radio (100.7 FM and 828 AM)
  • TR-FM (99.5 FM)
  • Gold 1242 (1242 AM)

For information on current fires in Gippsland and other parts of Victoria please contact the Victorian Bushfire Information Line (VBIL) on freecall 1800 240 667 or visit the following websites: 

For information on road closures visit:

Callers who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech / communication impairment may call the Victorian Bushfire Information Hotline through the National Relay Service using a modem or textphone/teletypewriter (TTY) by dialling 1800 555 677 then asking for 1800 240 667.

Be prepared

If possible, make a firebreak around your home

Trim branches, clear the roof and gutters, remove all rubbish, leaf litter etc

  • Store fuel, wood, paint away from the house
  • Trim shrubs close to the house; keep grass short and green. See our Slashing Contractors List(DOC, 33KB) for information on contractors who can do this for you.
  • Fire wire screens to doors, windows, vents and enclose all gaps, roof eaves and the area under your house
  • Keep a ladder handy for roof access
  • Fit hoses to reach all parts of the house and garden. If water is not connected, obtain a high pressure pump.
  • Check you have adequate insurance cover for bushfire.
  • Write a fire plan and decide to either leave early or stay to protect your home


Moe, Morwell, Traralgon, Boolarra, Churchill, Glengarry, Traralgon South, Tyers, Yallourn North, Yinnar, Flynn and Toongabbie:

  • Cut all grass, weeds etc over a height of 75 millimetres on the property and the adjoining nature strip and maintain throughout the fire danger period.
  • Cut all grass, weeds, undergrowth, etc over a height of 75 millimetres
  • Remove any other combustible material eg timber, tree prunings, fallen tree limbs, old car tyres,
  • Form a fire break area within 30 metres of any building and 10 metres inside any boundary fence
  • The 10 metre boundary may by cleared by either slashing or ploughing and must be maintained throughout the fire danger period. 


Find out what you can and can't do during declared Fire Danger Periods, and on days of Total Fire Ban. 

Clearing of Native Vegetation

Read the DSE advice on clearing of Native Vegetation

Where are the Neighbourhood Safer Places in Latrobe City?

  • Churchill Community Hall, Philip Parade, Churchill 3842
  • Boolarra Memorial Hall, Cnr Tarwin and Christian Streets, Boolarra 3870
  • Yinnar Primary School, Main Street, Yinnar 3869

Latrobe City Council has adopted the Municipal Neighbourhood Safer Places (NSP) Plan.  NSPs are not community fire refuges or emergency relief centres.  They are places of last resort during the passage of a bushfire, and are intended to be used by people whose primary bushfire plans have failed.  They do not guarantee survival.  Furthermore, there may be serious risks to safety encountered in travelling, and seeking access, to NSPs during bushfire events.  Depending on the direction of a particular fire, it may not be a safer place to assemble than other places within the municipal district.

For further information, contact the Municipal Fire Prevention Officer on 1300 367 700.

Structure Fire

If there is a structure fire you should:

  • Alert all people nearby and request assistance
  • Help any person in immediate danger (only if safe to do so)
  • Call the Fire Brigade on "000"
  • Close the door on the fire to contain the spread
  • If threat to life exists, evacuate immediately, closing all doors
  • Isolate electricity (only if safe to do so)
  • Shut off gas cylinders (only if safe to do so)
  • Extinguish the fire (only if safe to do so)
  • Check that all areas have been cleared
  • Move to the Emergency Assembly Area or Evacuation Point
  • Ensure people stay at the Emergency Assembly Area or Evacuation Point

Related Links

Related Documents