All cats and dogs aged 3 months and over must be registered.
All new applications to register a dog or cat will not be accepted unless the dog or cat has been microchipped and desexed (proof must be provided). This includes dogs and cats moving into the municipality from another Council.
Renewing a current registration
If renewing an existing dog or cat registration your dog or cat must be microchipped (proof required). Registration fees are due and payable by 10th April annually.
- Desexed/Microchipped Cat (first time registration), $37. Concession $18.50.
- Microchipped Cat kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on a registered premises, $37. Concession $18.50.
- Microchipped Cat registered with an applicable organisation, $37. Concession $18.50.
Example: Feline Control Council (Victoria) or Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc., Australian National Cats inc, Cats Victoria. or any successor in law of one of those associations or breed society approved by Council.
- Microchipped Cat (renewal only), $37. Concession $18.50.
- Domestic animal business conducted on registered premises, $200.
- Desexed/Microchipped Dog (first time registration), $37. Concession $18.50.
- Microchipped Dog kept for breeding by the proprietor of a domestic animal business conducted on a registered premises, $37. Concession $18.50.
- Microchipped Dog registered with an applicable organisation, $37. Concession $18.50.
Example: Dogs Victoria
- Microchipped Dog (renewal only), $37. Concession $18.50. Maximum Fee $110
Microchipped restricted breed, menacing, declared dangerous dogs
If you are the holder of a current Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card (eligible within the meaning of the State Concessions Act 1986) you are eligible for a 50% discount off your dog/cat registration fees(s). Please present your current card when paying. Please note that holders of Health Care Cards are not eligible for this discount.
State Government Levy
The State Government Levy of $3.50 for dog registration and $2.00 for cat registration is primarily used to fund responsible pet ownership educational programs.
The personal information requested on this form is being collected by Council for the enforcement and administration of animal control in accordance with Sections 10 & 18 of the Domestic (Feral & Nuisance) Animals Act 1994. The personal information will be used by Council and it's Contractors for that primary purpose or directly related purposes and may be disclosed as required to by law. The applicant may apply to Council for access and/or amendment of the information.
What happens if I do not register my pet?
Failure to register may the following fines. If the owner is a minor the owner's parent or guardian is responsible for the dog/cat. Proof of sterilisation/microchip and/or Victorian Canine Association/Feline Control Council is required. If unavailable a Statutory Declaration from your vet or applicable association is required.
- Registered cat or dog not wearing council identification marker, $74.
- Unregistered dog or cat wearing council identification marker, $74.
- Person removing, altering or defacing identification marker, $74.
- Dog or cat on private property after notice served, $74.
- Cat at large or not securely confined in restrictive district, $74.
- Dog or cat creating a nuisance, $74.
- Dog or cat in a prohibited place ,$148.
- Greyhound not adequately muzzled or not controlled by chain, cord or leash, $221.
- Not complying with notice to abate nuisance, $221.
- Dog at large or not securely confined at daytime, $221.
- Dog at large or not securely confined at night, $295.
- Failure to apply to register a dog or cat, $295.