Accommodation Premises Registration

Prescribed accommodation premises where six or more residents (who are not part of the proprietor’s family) are living must be registered with Latrobe City Council under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008 (Vic). Rooming or boarding houses where four or more residents are living must also be registered. 

Premises which must be registered as prescribed accommodation include residential accommodation, hotels, motels, hostels, student dormitories and holiday camps.

See Health (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2001 for more information.

Application for Plans Approval

You must complete a Plans Approval form and submit all floor plans for proposed prescribed accommodation premises and alterations. This form requests the location of the prescribed accommodation premises, contact details for the applicant, the class of the prescribed accommodation and details of when any works are scheduled.

Floor plan

You must submit two copies of detailed floor plans, drawn to scale (1:100), before obtaining registration. The plans must indicate the proposed use of each room including the location of beds, toilets, baths, kitchens, showers or washbasins.

You should also provide the maximum number of people who will live in each room used for sleeping along with the floor area in square metres. Floor plans must comply with the Public Health and Wellbeing Regulations 2009.

We will assess the plan within ten working days.

Final inspection

Once construction and fit-out is complete, you must arrange an inspection with an Environmental Health Officer. 

Registration of your prescribed accommodation business

Once the final inspection has been completed we will issued an Application for registration form. This form must be completed and submitted to us with the fee.

To lodge this form you must apply for a Certificate of Compliance from a registered building surveyor.  Please note: you may need to apply for a building permit for a change of use, occupancy permit or need physical changes in the building.

You must register your business each year (1 January to 31 December). You will receive a a certificate of registration that must remain at the premises at all times.

Purchasing an existing prescribed accommodation premises

Before you purchase a prescribed accommodation business you should:

  1. Check with us to determine if the business has current registration.
  2. Request a pre-transfer inspection of the business.

Pre-transfer inspection

One of our Environmental Health Officers will conduct a pre-transfer inspection of an existing prescribed accommodation premises to make sure it complies with the Public Health and Wellbeing Act. After the

Inspection you will receive a report that will identify any works needed to comply.  

Transfer of registration

Once the business you have bought the premises you must complete and return a transfer application form. We will then issue a Certificate of Registration in the name of the purchaser.

Operating a prescribed accommodation premises without registration is an offence under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act and you could be fined up to $7000 (individual) or $35,000 (body corporate).

Related Documents