Agricultural chemicals and hazardous waste
Agricultural chemicals cannot be taken to any Latrobe City Council Transfer Station.
Household chemicals cannot be taken to any Latrobe City Council Transfer Station. Transfer stations aren’t equipped to manage household chemicals. This is because these chemicals pose a high risk when combined or stored in large volumes. It is important for you to safely store your small amount of household chemicals at home right now.
Our annual ‘Detox your Home Mobile Collections’ are designed to accept a specific range of highly toxic household chemicals that can’t be accepted at transfer stations.
These events are staffed by expert chemists who understand how to safely manage toxic household chemicals. Chemicals taken to ‘Detox your Home’ events are safely stored during the event, then transported to a licensed processing facility.
View the Safe Handling of Toxic Chemicals Guide.
Detox Your Home Mobile Collection
Drive through to Detox Your Home this November
Sustainability Victoria will collect household chemicals, such as cleaning products, pool chemicals and weed killers for free at Morwell on Sunday 14 November.
This is a free service, but registration is essential.
Please use Google Chrome Browser to register.
Household chemicals can be safely disposed of at the event in the carpark of Latrobe City Council’s Corporate Headquarters, 141 Commercial Road, Morwell, from 9am -1pm.
Collected items are recovered for reuse or safely disposed of.
Detox Your Home events are drive-through (no walk-ins) and contactless, supported by a COVID Safe plan. This service is for household chemicals only. Paint, fluorescent lights and batteries will not be accepted.
Detox your Home accepts:
- Acids and alkalis Aerosol cans (empty cans with household recycling)
- Anti-freeze Brake fluid Car body filler Car wax Cleaners – ammonia based
- Cooking oil
- Detergents, disinfectants and drain cleaners
- Fire extinguishers
- Floor-care products and waxes
- Fuels – petrol, diesel, kerosene, other
- Glues – water-based and solvents
- Herbicides and weed killers
- Insect spray and pesticides
- Nail polish and remover
- Oven cleaner
- Thinners, turps and paint stripper
- Pool chemicals
- Rat poison
- Transmission fluid
- Wood preservatives and finishes (oils and varnish)
The maximum acceptable weight or size for any single container is 20 kilograms or 20 litres.
Decanting isn’t permitted, so bring chemicals in disposable, clearly labelled containers. If you don’t know what’s inside, label the item as ‘unknown’.
At the event:
- Put your clearly labelled items in the empty boot of your car or ute tray.
- Have your confirmation email available for event staff to confirm your order number on arrival.
- You won’t need to unload anything yourself.
- Drive-in and follow the event signage and directions.
- Stay in your car and trained chemists will do the rest.
- Remember to follow current public health measures, including wearing a fitted face mask and staying home if you feel unwell.
This event is delivered by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with local Councils.
What can I bring?
Visit the Detox your Home website for a full list of accepted and non- accepted items. You can bring as many items as you like, so long as each container is less than 20 litres or 20 kilograms.
This mobile service is designed specifically to collect unwanted household chemicals. Less toxic items such as paint, household batteries, fluorescent tubes and compact fluorescent lamps are no longer accepted at mobile collections but can be disposed of throughout the year at the ‘Permanent Drop-Off Site’ at the Morwell Transfer Station at no cost, 7 days per week.
Detox your Home is a free service for all Victorian householders. It is administered by Sustainability Victoria in partnership with local councils and funded by the Victorian landfill levy.
For further information email RRE@latrobe.vic.gov.au