The Latrobe Creative Precinct will see a state-of-the-art performing arts centre constructed on land adjacent to the Traralgon Service Centre and Library. The Precinct has received $30 million in funding, with $10 million each from the Victorian Government, the Federal Government and Latrobe City Council.
The community has grown to a point where the existing Little Theatre facilities are limiting the capability to support major productions and as a consequence cannot compete with other major regional theatres in Victoria. The new theatre 750 seat will increase variety of programs in touring shows – meaning there will be more of them and better choice.
The new precinct will include the following:
- A 750 seat theatre within a new performing arts centre;
- Multipurpose/Meeting rooms;
- An indoor/outdoor café; and
- Two open air event spaces, one of which is an amphitheatre
Once completed, patrons will be able to see a show in a new theatre with excellent facilities, hire the new performance and meeting spaces and attend outdoor events in the Precinct’s external event spaces.
Jackson Architecture in association with Katsieris Origami has been engaged as the design team for the Latrobe Creative Precinct. They bring a wealth of expertise and a welcome degree of flair to the design elements.
Detailed design has been completed and contract documentation is being finalised so construction can commence in August 2019.
It is anticipated that the Precinct will be open for business in early 2021.
Council is pleased to announce that Becon Constructions has been chosen as the builder for the Latrobe Creative Precinct. The company has been appointed under an Early Contractor Involvement process.
Becon Constructions are preparing to mobilise in late July so that construction can commence in earnest during August.
Status of Works
A large amount of preparation has occurred over the past 12 months and Council, in conjunction with the architectural team, has completed the Concept Design Development, Detailed Design Development, and Tender Services.
On-ground works, in readiness for construction works, over the last three months have included:
- sewer realignment
- abolition of existing unused drainage easements
- acquisition of relevant regulatory permits
- site surveys to clarify what is under the ground
- relocation of Latrobe City’s Customer Contact Centre form Traralgon to Morwell
Other on-ground works you will see in the coming eight weeks will include:
- transferal of perimeter powerlines to underground
- removal of trees
- removal of infrastructure such as rubbish bins, seating and outdoor lighting
- erection of site fencing.
For more information contact the Latrobe Creative Precinct project team, email email@example.com.