Skip to main content

Regional Assessment Service

The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is Australia's national funding program to help people over 65 (or over 50 for Indigenous Australians) stay independent and in their homes and communities.

To access CHSP services, you need to register with My Aged Care and arrange an assessment with the Regional Assessment Services (RAS).

My Aged Care

To register, call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422allow at least 10 minutes and have your medicare card ready to go through the questions they will ask.

If you are a carer or family member helping someone else with My Aged Care, you will need consent to speak on their behalf. See My Aged Care Portal - Talking to My Aged Care for someone.

My Aged Care will refer you for an Home Support assessment with a Regional Assessment Service (RAS).   

Your RAS assessment

Once My Aged Care refer you for a RAS assessment, one of our Intake Officers will contact you to arrange an appointment to visit you.

Find out more about what to expect on the My Aged Care Portal - Preparing for an assessment.

What happens at the assessment

A member of our team will visit you at your own home and conduct an in home assessment, who will discuss:

  • How you are managing your daily tasks and what you are finding difficult
  • goals and aspirations – what is important to you
  • health and wellbeing - any health concerns
  • carers and community - to understand your support system and needs.

The Assessment Officer will then develop a home support plan which is tailored to your individual needs.

What your home support plan includes

Your support plan includes strategies on how to help you achieve your goals.

If you need additional assistance

If your RAS assessor finds that your needs cannot be met by CHSP, they will organise for you to have a more comprehensive assessment. This is done by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

Do you like our site?