Skip to main content

Bushfires and Your Business

Bushfires and Your Business

Business Victoria has a comprehensive breakdown of the services available to assist businesses that have been directly or indirectly impacted by the bushfires; to access further information visit Bushfire Recovery for Business

The Rural Financial Counselling Service offers free and independent financial support to primary producers and non-agriculture related small businesses. Rural financial counsellors support farmers, fishing enterprises, forest growers and harvesters, and small, related businesses suffering financial hardship. The RFCS can be contacted on 1300 735 578. Gippsland offices are located at Maffra, Leongatha, Ellinbank and Bairnsdale.

Regional Development Victoria (RDV) offices are based throughout regional Victoria and are a local contact point for businesses wanting to access the programs and services provided by RDV. RDV offices can also provide information about other government services, grants and contacts that may assist regional businesses and organisations. Regional Development Victoria

CPA Australia Disaster Recovery Toolkit: Steps to Recovery for Businesses: CPA has developed a toolkit for when the recovery phase commences: A Disaster Recovery Toolkit: Steps to recovery For Businesses, CPA Australia's disaster recovery toolkit, below, can assist you or your clients with the many elements of recovery. This toolkit focuses on the business issues those affected either directly or indirectly by a disaster should consider. Download the CPA Australia Recovery Toolkit to assist you or your clients with the many elements of recovery: CPA Disaster Recovery Toolkit

Small Business Mentoring (SBMS) provides mentoring and business recovery advice, visit: Small Business Mentoring Service for more information.

Employment Entitlements during natural disasters and emergencies:  The Fair Work Ombudsman has developed information on employment entitlements during natural disasters and emergencies: Bushfires across Australia.  

Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) Fee Relief – go to and search for “fee relief” in the search bar.

Australian Taxation Office have developed a dealing with disasters page for more information on the support available.

Special provisions are available to employers whose business are within the Victorian natural disaster declared area: Victorian Chamber Assistance


A detailed bushfire insurance guide and fact sheet from Financial Rights Legal Centre is available at A factsheet from Financial Rights Legal Centre

What we can do to support businesses affected by the bushfires

Destination Gippsland release weekly Tourism Industry updates with resources for business and information on how to support tourism businesses affected by the bushfires through initiatives such as Roadtrip for good.

They have also released an industry Fact sheet for businesses to assist in answering questions regarding the bushfires, travel advice, visitor support, industry support and support from other agencies.

The Tourism Tribe has offered support in constructing bushfire communications and recovery information for tourism businesses. They have also generously offered a complimentary three-month Tourism Tribe membership for affected businesses; as well, they are developing a free online recovery marketing workshop please see here.

Additional resources 

The following information is provided to support individuals in the recovery phase of the bushfires:

Related Links and Contacts

 Documents and Identification

  • The Australian Registries of Births, Deaths and Marriages will replace certificates that were lost in the recent bushfires, free of charge. Phone 1300 369 367 for assistance.
  •  VicRoads can, if you've been affected by the recent bushfires: refund your remaining registration without any admin fees for any fire damaged vehicles or, replace your licence/learner permit/marine licence card for free. VicRoads Bushfire Assistance
  • Australian Passport Information Service: You may be eligible for a free replacement passport if it has been lost or damaged in the bushfire.  Call 131 232.
    Do you like our site?