Approval date 29 May 2017
At the 20 June 2016 Ordinary Council Meeting, Council resolved to: ‘Develop a policy to apply set timeframes for the development Council led Development Plans and Development Contribution Plans once a Development Plan Overlay is place on properties as a result of a planning scheme amendment.’
The objective of this policy is to provide a suitable timeframe as to when Latrobe City Council should commence the preparation of a Development Plan and Development Contribution Plan once a DPO requiring a Section 173 Agreement for the collection of Development Contributions is place on land.
The policy applies to land which has the Development Plan Overlay requiring a Section 173 Agreement for the collection of Development Contributions applied to it.
Principles of management
To ensure that land is not held unnecessarily without the opportunity for further subdivision, it is reasonable that the preparation of Development Plan and Development Contribution Plan should commence within two financial years from when the Development Plan Overlay requiring a Section 173 Agreement for the collection of Development Contributions is gazetted on the land.
Accountability and responsibility
Accountability and responsibility for this policy is outlined below.
- Responsibility to ensure this Policy is consistent with Latrobe City Council Strategic Direction and other Latrobe City Council Policy
- Responsibility for the decision to approve this Policy by Council Resolution
Chief Executive Officer
- Overall responsibility for compliance with this policy
- Overall responsibility for enforcing accountability
- Overall responsibility for providing resources
- Overall responsibility for performance monitoring
- Responsibility for compliance with this policy
- Responsibility for enforcing accountability
- Responsibility for providing resources
- Responsibility for performance monitoring
- Develop frameworks and procedures in compliance with this policy
- Enforce responsibilities to achieve compliance with frameworks and procedures
- Provide appropriate resources for the execution of the frameworks and procedures
Employees, Contractors and Volunteers
- Participate where required in the development of frameworks and procedures in compliance with this policy
- Comply with frameworks and procedures developed to achieve compliance with this policy
Evaluation and review
This policy will be reviewed on request of Council, in the event of significant change in the Executive team, significant changes to legislation applicable to the subject matter of the policy or, in any other case, during each Council term (generally four years).
Development Plan – A Development Plan is a tool to provide guidance on where road, parks, paths and physical infrastructure should be located. It is typically used where there are multiple landowners to provide an integrated response in planning for a precinct.
Development Contribution Plan – A Development Contributions Plan identifies what new infrastructure will be needed by the local community and what infrastructure is required to be funded for the development of the precinct. It may include items such as drainage, roads, open space, community facilities, playgrounds etc. A Development Contribution Plan is a means of sharing the cost of providing the community with infrastructure that satisfies its future economic and social needs. In most instances a Development Contribution Plan is required by applying a Development Contribution Plan Overlay (DCPO). Note: Latrobe City Council had three instances (Traralgon North, Traralgon South East and Morwell North West) where a Development Contribution Plan has been a requirement of the Development Plan Overlay and a Section 173 Agreement requirement in the absence of the DCPO.
Planning and Environment Act 1987 Latrobe Planning Scheme