Morwell & Districts Community Recovery Committee
The Morwell & District Community Recovery Committee (CRC) was initially a community advisory body to the agencies involved in the recovery process.
The CRC now works with the wider community, agencies and stakeholders to support community resilience. The committee focuses on key issues affecting health and wellbeing.
About the Committee
The committee was established in March 2014 as the Community Advisory Group (CAG) in the response to the Hazelwood Mine Fire. The committee members were selected by the State Government on the basis of their broad, representative community networks. As the mine fire event transitioned into recovery mode, the Morwell and Districts Community Recovery Committee (CRC) was founded and held its first meeting on 5 June 2014.
The CRC is a group of community volunteers who play an active role in planning and supporting activities and projects which support ongoing community resilience by engaging, consulting and empowering community.
The responsibilities of the CRC are to:
- Monitor the progress of recovery in the affected community
- Identify community needs and resource requirements and provide advice to appropriate agencies.
- Liaise, consult and negotiate on behalf of the affected community.
- Undertake community recovery activities, including health and wellbeing, recreational, economic development, sporting and social events, as determined by the circumstances and the committee.
Current members of the CRC include:
- Carolyne Boothman - Chair, Community Representative
- Cr Graeme Middlemiss - Deputy Chair, Latrobe City Council
- Teresa Greenough - Member, St Vincent’s Primary School
- Howard Williams - Member, Morwell Football & Netball Club
- Brodie Logue - Member, Community youth representative
- John Guy – Member, Advance Morwell Committee
- Kerrie White – Mind Australia
- Sheryl English, Red Cross
- Jane Barr, Berry Street
- Jo Huggins, Relationships Australia Victoria
- Sara Rhodes-Ward - Ex-officio, General Manager Community Services, Latrobe City Council
- Stuart Simmie - Ex-officio, Coordinator Community Resilience Latrobe City Council
Latrobe City Council