Residential Noise

Under the Environment Protection Act 1970 unreasonable noise that can be heard from a neighbouring property at certain times and days. The hours of operation of certain equipment is governed by the Residential Noise Schedule.

You should always try to settle an excessive noise problem with your neighbour first. If talking to a neighbour does not resolve the problem, the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria may be able to assist. This is an organisation established to help people settle their disputes in a co-operative and lasting way. The service is free and confidential. Through mediation, both parties aim to reach an amicable agreement. The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can be contacted on 9603 8370.  

Council investigates complaints concerning alleged unreasonable noise from domestic air conditioners, swimming pool pumps and domestic heating equipment.

Prohibited times for operation of this equipment under the Environment Protection (Residential Noise) Regulations 1997 are before 7am and after 10pm on weekdays and before 9am and after 10pm on weekends and public holidays.

We may be able to assist you if the noise can be deemed to be a nuisance under the Public Health and Wellbeing Act 2008. The noise would need to be a nuisance, and also be dangerous to health or offensive (or liable to be so). Our Health Services Team will be able to provide you with further advice.

Noise from music / parties that occurs after hours should be referred to the police, as they can deal with the noise as it is occurring if they deem it to be unreasonable.

The Residential Noise Regulations can be found at the EPA website.

Barking Dogs

If you are annoyed by noise from barking dogs please refer to Latrobe City Council's Local Laws Team on 1300 367 700.

Industrial Noise

Industrial and commercial noise is investigated by the Environment Protection Authority (EPA). Several factors are considered when dealing with this type of noise including the level of the noise, the amenity of the area and any permit the company/property have allowing them to operate. The EPA can be contacted on 1800 372 842.

Related Links