Social Inclusion aims to help people feel valued and provides opportunities to participate in their community.
It is about connecting with local communities, work mates, family and friends to build relationships and networks, addressing isolation and promoting social inclusion.
Disability Action Plan
The goal of the Latrobe City Disability Action Plan is to ensure people with a disability have equitable access to infrastructure and services provided by Latrobe City, in accordance with the Disability Discrimination Act 1992.
Each year we hold a community consultation to identify ways to improve the liveability of Latrobe City for people with a disability. This consultation includes people with a disability, representatives from disability organisations and members of the Latrobe City Disability Reference Committee. Issues and possible actions identified are investigated and inform the development of Latrobe City’s annual Disability Action Plan.
Refugee Action Program
The Refugee Action Program is funded through the office of Multicultural Affairs & Citizenship. Its aims are to help newly arrived refugees to settle more easily into their community, build strong community involvement and provide a point of coordination for service providers by:
- Identifying local issues and concerns
- Planning tailored, community-owned responses
- Improving local capacity and improved settlement outcomes
- Supporting refugee communities through partnerships with agencies and local service providers
- Providing flexible funding model to help refugee communities to work with agencies to support themselves
- Emphasising collaboration and coordination between funded agencies and other local service providers
- Encouraging on-going discussion with refugee communities and local organisations
Specific objectives and activities are documented and guided by the General and Individual Community Work plans developed through consultation with refugee communities.
The Latrobe City Rural Access project plays a vital role in the local community to respond to key issues identified by people with disabilities and their families. It draws on a broad range of resources to enable people with a disability to be included in the life of the community by:
- Helping people and organisations to work together more effectively
- Improving community understanding about the needs and aspirations of people with disabilities
- Working with community organisations to develop policies and practices which are inclusive of people with disabilities
- Developing and implementing projects which respond to needs and community priorities
- Including the needs of people with a disability in future community planning
- Supporting service providers to assist people with disability to live the sort of life they choose
- Working out easy ways for people to access the information they need about services, community activities and issues.