For 16 years Latrobe City has been recognised as an International Safe Community by the World Health Organisation.
We are required to meet the following six WHO Safe Community Indicators to become and remain a designated Safe Community:
- A community based on partnership and collaborations.
- Programs covering both genders and all ages, environments, and situations.
- Programs for high-risk groups and environments, and programs that promote safety for vulnerable groups.
- Programs that document the frequency and causes of injuries.
- Evaluation tools for community programs.
- Being apart of national and international Safe Communities networks.
In partnership with many other organisations we undertake a range of activities to promote and improve safety including:
- International Power Children’s Traffic School
- Promoting PartySafe
- Small Business Safety Promotion
- Supporting the Local Liquor Accords
- Community Safety Forums
- Community Safety Month
- Traralgon CBD Safety Committee
- Churchill Harmony Group
- Falls prevention
- Preventing Violence Against Women & Families
- Road Safety Initiatives
- Addressing Anti-social Behaviour
- Applying Crime Prevention through Environmental Design principles to planning
- Scooter Safety
- Pool Safety
- Supporting Community action through graffiti removal & documentation
- Promoting GoodSports programs
- Improving lighting of Walk and Bike Paths
- Swimming Programs for New Arrivals
- Footpath Upgrades
- Assessment of Dangerous Trees
- Child Safety Programs
For more information contact the Community Development team on 1300 367 700.