Latrobe City is one of Victoria’s four major regional centres and provides excellent opportunities for investment. New and existing investors have access to a skilled workforce, strong road and rail transport links, natural resources, established electricity infrastructure, locally based education institutions and affordable land prices.
A number of major companies are continuing to expand their operations and invest in Latrobe City. Companies such as Lion, Australian Paper, GippsAero, Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), Bunnings and various government departments are just some of the major organisations that have made Latrobe City their home.
Industries of significant interest
- Food processing: Opportunities for food processing investment as Gippsland increasingly becomes the food bowl for Victoria.
- Power generation: Further enhance reputation as Victoria’s energy heartland with a focus on new technologies and sustainable uses for the vast brown coal resource.
- Education and Training: Latrobe City as the location of choice for both Australian and international students within regional Victoria.
- Shared Services: Be a key shared services hub within Australia with our mobilised skilled workforce.
- Soil carbon programs: Produce carbon offsets through forestry, bio-char and/or soil carbon management into local and international markets.
- Aviation: Encourage aerospace industries, aviation training facilities and related service providers to establish or expand operations at the expanding Latrobe Regional Airport.
- Advanced manufacturing: Manufacture of technology industries including robotics, computer technologies and control systems.
- Alternative coal use: Promote the development of coal derivative technologies including fertiliser production, coal to oil and coal to gas technologies.
- Business tourism and events: Encourage investment to support the growth of the business tourism market including 1000+ seat conference centre and accommodation facilities.
- Road and rail: Investment to provide freight services to local industry via the Gippsland Logistics Precinct.
Currently there are a number of investment opportunities for businesses looking to capitalise on Latrobe City's skilled workforce, strong road and rail transport links, locally based education institutions and affordable land prices.
Latrobe City Council has prepared a document titled Securing our Future(PDF, 7MB) which clearly outlines major investment opportunities in the region to create real and sustainable jobs. We are currently seeking Commonwealth and state government funding to proceed with these projects.
The Business Development Unit at Latrobe City Council can assist with investment facilitation support services, simply contact us on 1300 367 700 to find out more about investing in Latrobe City.